Thursday, June 8, 2017

Joy Fold Birthday Card With Gift Card Holder


This card was so much fun to make! I have seen joy fold cards done horizontally and had never made one, but when I saw this vertical one on Pinterest made by Handcrafting With Heather, I knew I had to give it a try. I especially liked the fact that you could add a gift card holder inside! However, I didn't have any measurements, so I looked at the pictures and created my own, which may or may not be the actual "joy fold measurements." I am posting my process with measurements here if you would like to recreate a card like this. Finished size of card is A2, which is 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 inches.



If the flap not staying down bothers you, you can add a cute paper clip to the side. I attached an arrow clip and after a few days the card stayed closed a lot better. With it unclipped, the recipient will know immediately where to open the card.

Here are my directions with measurements and photos:


Finished envelope/card holder is 3-1/4 x 3-3/4inches. I made mine using patterned paper. Fold on score lines and apply adhesive to undersides of flaps. Adhere to inside of card.




What makes this card especially fun is that you can use coordinating papers on each section to give it more character. Cut sizes for patterned paper are:

1. Base piece - 4 x 5-1/4"
2. Front and back of base flap - 2-1/2 x 4" (cut 2)
3. Front and inside pieces for insert - 3-1/4 x 4-1/4" (Cut 3 - cut one in white for stamped greeting, if desired.)
4. I made the gift card holder with patterned paper as well. See measurements above.

Here are a few more photos of the finished card:







Products Used:
Stampin' Up designed series paper (It's My Party)
Stampin' Up black cardstock
Die cut "Happy" by Catherine Pooler Designs
Balloon dies by Paper Smooches
Banner - Bundle of Stitched Shapes by Simon Says Stamp
Stamps - Stampin' Up (Perfectly Wrapped and Crazy About You), Paper Pumpkin (Pocketful of Cheer), and Great Birthday by Print Works Collection (purchased at Hobby Lobby)
Stampin' Up - baker's twine and enamel dots

Try going vertical and see how you like it!


2 comments :

  1. Thank you for the great tutorial. I am making gift card holder cards for my "tough to buy for" family. I am an SU hobbyist demo. I have never heard of a Joy Fold before. It's perfect for my gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you found it to be helpful. I am always on the lookout for different ways to give gift cards or cash and this is a fun one.

      Delete