Friday, July 15, 2016

Birthday Flip Book #2 from a File Folder


After making last week's flip book birthday card, I wanted to try my hand at a different kind of flip book to turn into a birthday card. This time I used a file folder. I followed the instructions from Little Hot Tamale on You Tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Myvz7xA-zk and created this birthday card flip book. 

After folding and cutting the file folder, I had to decide how to decorate it. Then it occurred to me this would be a great way to use those Lang calendars I had been saving! I used several different years of my Coffee Calendars by Lisa Kaus. I just traced around the parts of the images I wanted to use and cut them out to fit the book pages. I inked the paper edges where needed to hide the white core of the calendar pages and any of the file folder that might still show underneath. I have to admit it is a little time consuming, but I really like the result!  

Inside View, First Page
Inside View, Second Page
 The inside page of the flip book is a pocket where you can add a gift card, note, etc. I opted to make a tag from a scrap of calendar page to insert inside the pocket.

Back View
To "bind" the folder, just for stability, I cut one of the borders from a calendar page and added it to the folded part of the book as a binding. My book ended up being about 1/4 inch thick so I cut a piece 6 x 1-1/4 inches, scored it at 1/2" and 3/4", folded and glued it to the edge.

I could have added photos, etc.and made it into an album, but I elected to let the artwork speak for itself and only added pieces here and there where I thought it needed it or presented a message. I cut and punched various pieces from the calendar pages and did a little stamping to complete my book. Finished size is approximately 5 x 6 inches, including the file folder tab. You can make your book either landscape or portrait. I chose portrait. 

Go raid your office area and start folding and cutting up those file folders!


No comments :

Post a Comment